Cream of Onion Soup
Recipe inspired by Ed Glasgow
1. Melt butter in large stock pot over low heat.
2. Once butter is melted add in sliced onions.
3. Mix in salt.
4. Cover, keeping on low heat, and let onions sweat for 30 min.
5. Remove cover and add broth and potatoes.
6. Bring to a boil over medium to high heat.
7. Reduce heat and simmer ingredients for 20-25 minutes, or until potatoes can be pierced with a knife.
8. Using an immersion blender, puree ingredients until smooth.
9. Stir in heavy whipping cream, marsala and thyme.
10. Taste to determine if more salt is needed for your liking.
11. Serve and enjoy a piece of the past.
Old Fashiond Chcolate Cake
For Ed Glasgow
*Recipe credit from AllRecipes.com
Cheesy Marshmallow Crackers
Recipe By: Shirley Martin
Pie Crust Recipe
by Margie Smith
Makes 2 crusts
2 ¼ Cup flour
· 1 tsp salt
· ¾ cup Crisco shortening
· 5 tbsp cold water*
In a stand mixer, combine flour and salt. Add Crisco shortening. (Here you can use ½ cup shortening and ¼ cup of lard). Mix on medium speed until crumbly. Begin to add cold water into the mixture 1tbsp at a time. You want the dough to come together in a ball but not be wet and stick to fingers. You may have to add extra water, but do so with the 1 tbsp at a time. Once the dough has come together, place on a floured surface. With cold rolling pin (a marble rolling pin that can be stored in freezer is a great idea), begin rolling out the dough into a circle. If you need to determine size place your pie pan over the dough- not setting it on it to see if it will hang slightly over the pan. If so it’s ready to be placed in the pie pan. Fold the dough in half gently and bring pie pan close. Gently place dough into pie dish and fold out other half. Gently press down on the dough to form it to the pan. With a knife cut the edges that are overhanging. With the edge of the pie you can get creative by either “fluting” the edge- pinch it together between two fingers or using a fork to crimp the edges.
Pie crust is ready for filling.
Pumpkin Pie Filling Recipe: Margie Smith
· 2 eggs
· ½ cup granulated sugar
· ½ tsp salt
· ½ tsp ground ginger
· ¼ tsp ground cloves
· ¼ tsp nutmeg
· 1 tsp cinnamon
· 1 can evaporative milk
· 1 ½ cans of pumpkin puree (not canned pumpkin pie)
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a large bowl combine with whisk the eggs, sugar, salt, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon. Add in the evaporative milk and continue to whisk. Add in pumpkin and mix until combined. Pour into unbaked pie shell. Place silicone pie crust protectors on the edges. Bake pie
for 15 minutes at 425 degrees then lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees and continue to bake for 45-60 minuets. At 10-15 minutes prior to pie